I think it was very smart of us to plan early and got all the big things needed early in the engagement so we can enjoy a big chunk of our engagement period. But also on the way, I got a root canal and I needed to replace my car battery. We’re glad we’ve been able to have a debt free wedding and be able to pay this out of pocket on our own.
Anyways, recently we’ve noticed we’ve done more post-wedding planning than the wedding itself. Here are things we are doing after October 2014.
1. Got tickets ourselves to the Russell Peters show
2. Khoi’s college graduation – He gradutates in June 2015. He needs to power through another year more to finish then!
3. Khoi’s graduation gift - a trip to Italy.
4. Keeping up our food blog, j+k eat [blank] - We’ve got plenty of photos to share!
5. Continuing this blog for my rants and insight. I think I should carry around a written book more often. I’ve been carrying a lot of inspiration around lately that when I go on WordPress I forget.
We also have done non-wedding things during our engagement too such as:
1. Paint Nite and other artsy things- I attended a Paint Nite class and I will be attending more in the future. After 7 years of living nomad, I think our wall deserves something nice.
2. Doing well at my job – I have witnessed that wedding planning is very distracting. So distracting it prevents people from doing their job at all. It’s EXTREMELY counter productive and I knew I needed to prevent this mistake. I remembered reading Sheryl Sandberg’s Lean In,she said that the time before you have kids/get married/get engaged is the perfect time to lean into your job. It’s probably the best advice I’ve ever received and I’m happy to say it’s paying off. Which ties in my next point…
3. Self-improvement - This applies to any part of my life.
4. Saving money - Enough said
5. Write, write, write (and read) - I don’t think I am writing enough. I feel if I spent less time browsing on Pinterest and Youtube, I could write and read more. Got plenty of Yelp reviews to go through :-p.
6. Buying flowers - I always wanted to be the person who is able to afford flowers every week. Well…I’m almost on my way. I’ve been able to buy flowers for the apartment every other week and it definitely brightens up the room. I like how change where the vases are. One week I’ll leave some on my fiance’s desk and another week I’ll leave it along the bar area. I recently purchased a pot of mini peach roses. Hopefully I’ll get more soon.