I got this recipe from this blog. Served good both hot and cold. Very light and very simple to make :-).
Note: Couldn’t find any basil in the grocery store so I used spinach instead.
5 large tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and diced.***To do this, cut a shallow “X” on the bottom of each tomato. Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil, and place the tomatoes in the water for about 15 seconds or so. Immediately remove the tomatoes with a slotted spoon and place into an ice water bath. This will stop the tomatoes from cooking. At this point, the skins should be easy to remove, and the tomatoes can be easily de-seeded and diced at this point.
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon salt
Fresh ground pepper, to taste
Pinch cayenne pepper
1 pound rigatoni
8 ounces mozzarella cheese, sliced or cubed as desired
Approximately 15-20 fresh basil leaves, finely shredded
1. Place the peeled and diced tomatoes in a colander for about 15 minutes to remove excess juices.
2. In a medium bowl, combine the drained tomatoes, olive oil, vinegar, garlic, cayenne pepper, and salt and pepper. Mix the ingredients well and let sit for 20 minutes at room temperature.
3. Meanwhile, bring a pot of water to a boil over medium-high heat.
4. Cook the pasta according to package directions until al dente.
5. Drain the pasta and return it to the pot.
6. Add the tomato mixture, mozzarella, and basil. Toss gently, and serve immediately.